We have had many goldfinches at the feeders the last week. I am a little surprised because we have a pair of merlins nesting in the back yard (with young, I think). We haven't had many song birds this spring because of the merlins, but the goldfinches seem not to care. We do find quite a few remains of birds (like a few feathers) in the area and I think the merlins are feeding well, but so far no goldfinches seen to be prey. Interesting interaction. Merlins have to eat and feed their babies, too, but the goldfinches are so beautiful I would hate to lose them for baby food.