All:

A couple of months ago one of the big authorities on the birds of South
Texas and I had a discussion about whether the winter records of Painted
Bunting in San Antonio were wild birds or artifacts of the pet trade.
Between an RFI on SATXBirds and the BA contacting other big authorities it
was pretty well established that Painted Buntings are sold in certain flea
markets.  The net result of our discussion was that both hypotheses are
viable.

Richard can testify to the fact that some of those flea markets are very
close to the Mitchell Lake Audubon Center, one of the most heavily birded
sites in San Antonio TX.  In the thirty-nine years I have birded San Antonio
Painted Buntings have been not uncommon in proper habitat during the warmer
months.  On this month's, today's, 4th Saturday Bird Tour at MLAC we had
singing males at two locations.  This was not particular surprise to me
because two weeks ago they were all over the place in the Frontcountry
portion of Government Canyon State Natural Area, in northwestern San
Antonio, Bexar County.  This is a circuitous way of saying that if Painted
Buntings are found in northern states in January, then it makes sense that
those birds are escaped cage birds.  However, if Painted Buntings show up in
northern states around the same time as folks in Central Texas see them,
then a case can be made for those birds not being escaped cage birds.  As
the recent records of Painted Bunting records that I have noticed on the
North Dakota and Minnesota listservs, discussion groups, have occurred at
about the same time that they showed up in San Antonio, I would vote for
those birds not being escaped cage birds.

One way to answer the question is to get good photographs of the birds in
question and look for wear on wing and tail feathers.  Another way to answer
the question is to have a licensed bird bander mist net the bird and
photograph it in the hand.

Hope this helps.

Onward!

Steve