Lars Benson and I went chasing birds this weekend for his Big Year. Had
a Short-eared Owl in Douglas County near L. Osakis along Doug 3 within a
mile N. of Douglas 10 in the evening as we were driving in. Saturday we had
an Avocet in Big Stone, a Loggerhead Shrike in Big Stone and some of 12 W.
Kingbirds in both Big Stone and Lac Qui Parle. Went to Salt Lake for a
handful of shorebirds, NO grebes. Went to 9-10 sewage ponds on Saturday for
a quite disappointing smattering of shorebirds-12 species for the weekend
but only one to a few of most species. Went to Grant County Pelican Lake to
find out that the guy from Fridley that had kept the stock with the Cattle
Egrets got "too old", sold the stock (this according to Wes and Kurt who
came out to check us out and chat for a half hour,) and the pasture is now
overgrown and the egrets were not there. You can get looong looks at the
rookery with a scope and can ID Cattle Egrets with patience but its NOT the
same. Lake Alice in Fergus had ONLY Cormorants and Great Egrets nesting.
Missed this AM on the Lazuli and again later on the Hyland Chats.

          John Ellis-St. paul