With the cool snaps and winds that have lingered across the state this
summer have come some unwelcome consequences; purple martin chick mortality.
Our colonies here in the Willmar area suffered 20-25% chick mortality from
the cool snap about 2 weeks ago.  The deaths were primarily a result of
starvation.   Fewer flying insects result in not enough food for the young.
About half of my nests that still contained young had dead birds.  However,
the eastern half of Minnesota has suffered two such cool snaps and as I
understand it, had two bouts of chick loss, with some colonies experiencing
upwards of 100% mortality.  These significant losses are NOT the norm for
this species.

So, as the nesting season for martins winds down, I am curious what other
martin enthusiasts show for fledgling success.  I encourage you to share
your comments and summative data with the entire list serve, so we can be
jointly educated.

Randy Frederickson
Willmar