Late this morning, Sept 7, my Minn Birding Weekends (MBW) group observed a Snowy Egret at Agassiz NWR, Marshall Co. It was seen on Parker Pool from the observation platform along Co Rd 7 west of refuge headquarters. I then alerted Jeanie Joppru who reported the egret was still present this afternoon.

There were a few other highlights during this Sept 4-5-6-7 MBW tour covering parts of Kittson, Roseau, Lake of the Woods, Marshall, and Clearwater Co's. In all, we managed to turn up over 150 species, despite the clear and warm weather which is currently prevailing and is not conducive to much migration.

Our shorebird total was a respectable 18 species, with limited mudflat habitat available. The most interesting finds were an American Avocet at the Roseau sewage ponds and a flock of 145 Red-necked Phalaropes at the Warroad sewage ponds. The only extensive mudflats we saw were at Parker Pool in Agassiz, although most of the habitat there is relatively far from the road. There are also decent mudflats at Agassiz along Co Rd 7 at South Pool just east of refuge headquarters.

On the other hand, however, the woods birding was generally very slow, as evidenced by our modest 4-day total of only 16 warblers, with very low numbers of each species, and no significant waves of passerines found anywhere.

Kim Eckert