We are on the late side for hummers now, so yesterday (11th) afternoon at
5:00pm I checked out a hummer report in Burnsville that turned out to be a
female Ruby-throated. No surprise there. But, amazingly, while I was there
waiting to see the bird, I get a phone call from my next door neighbor telling
me she just had a hummer at her window that was "definitely not a
Ruby-throated". Her description of the bird left me totally bewildered. She
said it was tiny with a short bill and totally, totally (her emphasis) dark all
over EXCEPT for a small amount of white on the throat and it had a brilliant
green back. ?????????????? It has not shown up again at either of our feeders.
Your guess is as good as mine on this one.

Bottom line...some hummers are still present in the area and this storm should
hold them a bit longer...so keep those feeders loaded. And especially keep and
eye out for...uh...oh, never mind.

Jim
Eagan