Here's some gull photos I snapped today, from both sunrise and sunset (I did
a little hawkwatching in the middle of the day).

Ring-billed Gulls
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/119233693
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/119233698
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/119233692
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/119233695
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/119233697
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/119233696

Herring Gull
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/119233694

Lighthouse
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/119233699

Here's a gull that I believe is a Herring Gull. This individual is showing
several transitions at one time (based on eye color, bill color, plumage,
and mantle). All of these transitions that I am mentioning and noticing are
characteristic of Herring Gulls.
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/119233691

In case it is hard to read the tidbits about this bird on my photo site (in
green and blue), here it is on this email...
>From the heavy bill, and overall impression of the bulkiness of this bird,
my first impression was Herring Gull. After trying to age this bird, I am
confused by the field marks of this bird.

1. It has the dark eyes of a 1 year old bird
2. The bill, being mostly pink with a black band near the end, is
characteristic of either a 1st summer or 2nd winter Herring Gull.
3. The head is pale in the front, with light detailing throughout the back
end of the head. This is characteristic of 3 year old birds, and more pale
in adult non-breeding.
4. The pale mantle with dirty outer edges of the folded wings are
characteristics of the 3rd winter Herring Gull.
5. Primary tips look all dark like a non-adult Herring Gull

Let me know if you have any thoughts about this gull. Any help is
appreciated :)

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke

Duluth, MN
NATURALLY AVIAN - Guided bird hikes and bird photography
birdf...@gmail.com
www.pbase.com/birdfedr/naturallyavian