the following was posted to the national birdchat listserv by the venerable editor of Birding Magazine:

Hello, BirdChatters.

We all know the "rule." You can't put a non-countable exotic on your life list. A Ringed Teal in Reno, a Chukar in Scranton, a Sacred Ibis in Miami--those birds aren't countable, so you can't put them on your list.

Except on Christmas Bird Counts!

This matter of non-countable exotics came up in discussion a few days ago when I was a participant in the Fountain Creek, Colorado, Christmas Bird Count. Somebody had found 6 California Quail, a species not on the "official" Colorado list, and somebody else promptly declared that they wouldn't count. However, the count compiler, to his credit, did, in fact, enter the 6 California Quail on the list. [Present for many months, photo-documented, even bred and raised young earlier in the year; but that's not really relevant here.]

Well, we did the right thing on the Fountain Creek CBC, but I will note that, over the years, I've been on many CBCs which did it the wrong way. A Mute Swan was excluded because it might--just might--have been an escape; a Ring-necked Pheasant was scratched off the list because of rumors there'd been a release at the local hunt club; or dozens of Nutmeg Mannikins were declared uncountable for the simple reason that they're not yet on some official state or continental list.

The Christmas Bird Count isn't a fully scientific enterprise, I accept, but neither is it supposed to conform entirely to the "rules" of the listing game. On a CBC, it's okay to count a bird by the method of "remote detection" from a real-time owl-camera or falcon-camera; on a CBC, there's certainly no need to apply the "95% rule" which stipulates that all members of a party must see or hear at least 95% of the birds reported; and on a CBC, it's okay--it's more than okay, it's a very good idea--to count exotic birds that aren't yet on some "official" list.

To see what I'm talking about, check out recent CBCs from Florida. Along with all the Yellow-rumped Warblers and Laughing Gulls (native species, obviously), and along with all the Rock Pigeons and European Starlings (exotics with long-established populations in the state), you'll also get tallies like 29 Chestnut-fronted Macaws, 53 Red-masked Parakeets, and 1 Cockatiel. Those birds are out there, in the environment, interacting with their environment, and it is appropriate to make note of them. It is right to count them.

On CBCs, it is especially important to count non-countable exotics for the critical reason that they might well become permanently established--sooner, quite possibly, than most folks would have anticipated. Thanks in large part to CBC data, we have a clear picture of patterns of expansion for recently established species like Eurasian Collared-Dove and Common Myna. Both species are currently considered to be "countable" (i.e., for personal lists), but I note that they were counted on CBCs prior to their being declared officially countable. We got a "head start" on understanding those species by counting them even before they were officially countable. And that same reasoning ought to apply to lots of other species that are either well-established or apparently on their way to being well-established--even though they're not yet countable.

Some fairly well-known examples in Florida--where there's a good, strong tradition of CBC monitoring of exotics--include Purple Swamphen and Black-hooded Parakeet. Those birds are there, they're established, they're part of the avifauna, they're potentially interacting with other organisms and their environment, and it's frankly irresponsible for us not to count them.

In California, which doesn't, perhaps, have quite as strong a tradition of CBC monitoring of exotics, there are all sorts of possibilities. Common Peafowl, Mandarin Ducks, Rose-ringed Parakeets, Black-throated Magpie-Jays, Nutmeg Mannikins, Orange Bishops--all those species are apparently established, but with very little data. We need to know what's going on with their populations. We need to count them on CBCs. Go ahead! Go on! Do it! Count them. Even a Demoiselle Crane in Lodi. It's a real bird, for crying out loud. It's THERE, actually THERE, in the wild, interacting with other organisms, exchanging energy and matter with the environment. It oughtta be counted.

The problem of well-established or potentially established (or establishing) populations of non-countable exotics is best known in South Florida and Southern California, but it affects all of us, really. Mute Swans, Muscovy Ducks, Eurasian Collared-Doves, Monk Parakeets--all those birds are on the move, and they oughtta be noted even in areas in which they're not yet considered to be established. Even Peach-faced Lovebirds in Phoenix, even a whole slew of Old World passerines in the Upper Midwest--they're here, and the CBC provides us with a great opportunity to understand them.

And even, yes, California Quail. I and others were amazed when we opened up the Arizona Breeding Bird Atlas, published a few years ago, and learned that the species had been established for 40+ years in east-central Arizona, near the New Mexico border. They're all over Chile, too. And they've been established for close to 50 years in Corsica. They get around. They get established. Who knows?--maybe we'll someday learn, sooner than anyone had expected, that they're established and expanding in and around the Fountain Creek region of Colorado. The habitat looks perfect.

The Christmas Bird Count is an awesome tradition. For many of us, our local CBC is the ornithological highlight of the year. Especially if we've been doing the same CBC for years or even decades--as is the case with so many of us. And the most exciting thing of all, for a lot of us, is monitoring all the changes in bird populations over the years.

If you find a Smew on the Pierre, South Dakota, CBC this coming Saturday, just count it! Someone else can worry about whether it flew in from Asia or escaped from the South Dakota Discovery Center & Aquarium. Doesn't matter. The bird was there. You saw it. Count it.

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Check out Birding magazine on Twitter: http://twitter.com/BirdingMagazine

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/