Or try any time from mid-May to mid-June
Warren

-----Original Message-----
From: Minnesota Birds [mailto:mou-...@lists.umn.edu] On Behalf Of
Jonathon Jongsma
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 1:30 PM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [mou-net] spring bird watching

On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 19:01 +0000, DAVID PATTI BLASER wrote:
> My husband and I just started this hobby last summer. I have to put my
vacation requests for the year in now and am wondering what is the best
time to birdwatch in the spring in SE MN? Thanks!
> Patti Blaser

It depends what you want to see, of course.  But one thing that you
might find helpful is to go to ebird.org and look at the charts for how
frequently birds are reported at different times throughout the year.
For example, here are the charts for Winona county (I just picked a
random SE MN county): http://bit.ly/4TRKBt [1].  You can see from that
chart that most waterfowl seems to start returning in late March, most
warblers start coming through in mid-may, etc.  Hope that helps.

[1]
http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?step=saveChoices&getLocations=counties&pa
rentState=US-MN&bMonth=01&bYear=1900&eMonth=12&eYear=2010&reportType=loc
ation&counties=US-MN-169&continue.x=63&continue.y=19&continue=Continue