Watching gulls in Duluth today, both at Canal Park and the Superior Entry, I
observed a total of 7 Great Black-backed Gulls (1 adult, 3 second-cycles and 3
first-cycles) and 5 Iceland Gulls (1 adult, 2 second-cycles and 2
first-cycles), both high counts for the state. Also present were 3 adult and 1
second-cycle Thayer's Gull, a reduction in number from earlier in the season.
Amazing numbers of gulls continue to overwinter in the Duluth-Superior harbor
where I have been tracking the total number of individuals.
Photos of these birds can be seen at www.pbase.com/karlbardon
Also at Canal Park was a male Lesser Scaup, which joined the male Greater Scaup
wintering there on 15 January.

Karl Bardon