Verizon drops off the map in may spots in Southwestern Minnesota.

Sue, Cottonwood

-----Original Message-----
From: Minnesota Birds [mailto:mou-...@lists.umn.edu] On Behalf Of Dennis and
Barbara Martin
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2010 9:46 PM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [mou-net] Fw: [mou-net] phone + birding q

I hope people respond publicly to this question.    Anne asks questions that
we all are also interested in.

The only thing we know is that Verizon is the way to go for us because we
can use the weather information just about everywhere in the state.  If is
is raining where we are at, we look at the radar to see if we can move a
little ways and get out of the rain and continue birding.  This  3G ability
works nearly everywhere in the state on our Blackberry, which is 4-5 years
old and  not the one sold in the stores today.  I suspect the newer ones
would load the weather maps faster and possibly would be easier to use,
although ours works fine and has saved us many days of wet birding.

We also get MOUnet on our phone and thus keep up with email while we are out
of town.  This ability has gotten us 2 state birds and many county birds and
year birds in the past 4 years.  These were birds that we read about and we
were not far away from where they were and we had not gotten a phone call
about them.

We have no apps on our phone otherwise although I also suspect that we are
missing out on something that we could do for little money.  We are
considering upgrading to a newer Blackberry since we could do so for not
much money.  Our only complaint is that Verizon is, we think, a little
expensive on a monthly basis when we include the email ability and since we
have 2 phones in our house.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
Shorewood, MN
dbmar...@skypoint.com