From: Minnesota Birds [mailto:mou-...@lists.umn.edu] On Behalf Of linda
whyte
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 2:42 PM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [mou-net] [mnbird] Birding about the Metro

I have seen crows carry off a very alive baby squirrel, and attempt to
snatch a baby rabbit, in the alley and street by my house. I have also
seen one pursue and grab a running mouse right off the sidewalk in my
backyard. Though I can't guarantee the mouse was in good health, we
have never used a poison aimed at killing rodents.

Given their affinity for capitalizing on roadkill and their capacity
for learning, crows seem perfectly likely to hunt for live sources of
protein, especially during breeding season (which is when I witnessed
all 3 incidents).
Linda Whyte