The first pair of Red-necked Grebes were back on Assumption Lake this morning.
 They were associating with themselves away from the main pack of waterfowl on
the lake, though there were a few ducks around them.   Late waterfowl today
were a single Common Goldeneye on Rapids Lake and a single Redhead and
Canvasback on Winkler Lake.   Lesser Scaup, Northern Shoveler, and  Bufflehead
are still around in good numbers.   There were both Franklin's and Bonaparte's
Gulls in the area as well, 3 Franklin's on Rapids Lake and 6 Bonaparte's on a
flooded field along Salem Ave. southeast of Norwood-Young America.  A Lesser
Yellowlegs was also in the field along Salem Ave., and 2 Lesser Yellowlegs were
in a field along Post Rd. northwest of Cologne.   5 Yellow-rumped Warblers were
at Rapids Lake MVNWR along with a few Ruby-crowned Kinglets.   5
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers were all in the same general area south of the
visitors center at the refuge.   They looked to be setting up territory as they
were all vocal, aggressive towards each other, and repeatedly tapping the same
rhythm on trees.   A Field Sparrow had moved into the refuge that hadn't been
there Friday, and a Western Meadowlark had joined the 2 Eastern Meadowlarks in
the grassland.  Another sure sign of spring was a White-throated Sparrow just
singing his heart out.   On a non-bird note, this year has already been a bad
year for ticks.   I have picked them off of me almost every time I've been out
starting the last few days of March.