I did hear mention this morning that one of the godwits seen yesterday caused a
bit of confusion.

The godwit that I saw this morning was definitely a Marbled Godwit (to my
dismay). After having troubling views early in the morning I was later able to
see the bird in flight multiple times. The wings were mostly uniform underneath
with no black and I didn't see a white patch on the rump. When I saw the bird
at closer range the coloration matched that of the Sibley guide for the
Marbled. It did not seem to have very much barring on its belly, it was mostly
plain buffy like a juvenile bird or a bird in non-breeding plumage. The pattern
on the back matched guides perfectly for Marbled Godwit.

One of the Hudsonians could well have stayed the night but the bird I saw this
morning I have no doubt was a Marbled Godwit.

Thank you very much for the post because there is always a chance of mistaking
two species that are closely related.

If someone did see a Hudsonian Godwit today please post the sighting because I
would love to try again for this fantastic species.

Jason Caddy

South Minneapolis

j.ca...@hotmail.com