120 species in Sherburne Refuge, Princeton Sewage Ponds, Kunkel WMA and Big Stone Refuge/Lac Qui Parle County over the last week. Highlights & observations:

* Nate had a Eurasian Collared Dove in Mille Lacs County along CR 5, about 4 miles north of the CR 12 intersection. Believe this is a first county record (one I do not yet share, but have only tried for it once).

* Eight warbler species, about normal for 5/1-5/7 up here. Next week is usually the charm, especially as we get close to the MOU Sherburne trip on 5/15.

* 13 sparrow species (including the Chestnut-collared Longspur migrant in Lac Qui Parle last Sunday). Harris' Sparrows were new this morning on Sherburne's Auto Tour. Only one White-crowned (Nate) to date. No sign of Henslow's in the refuge, have had them 2 of the last 6 years. Lark Sparrows are happily singing. Grasshopper Sparrows seem to be just about everywhere.

* 10 shorebirds, but this was heavily weighted by Lac Qui Parle; only four observations this week in Sherburne area. Bit quiet!

* Eight ducks, bit light considering time out west. Trumpeters are paired up in the refuge.

* 12 hawk species, including the previously reported Ferruginous in Big Stone Refuge.

* Only two flycatchers, one vireo, six blackbird species. Only one Yellow-headed Blackbird seen in Sherburne area, bit of a trend the last 2-3 years. No orioles yet (due in couple of days). No Red-headed Woodpeckers yet seen (nest in refuge). Somehow missed Winter Wren during migration, anticipate picking up a nester in Aitkin County. No Black Terns yet, should arrive shortly.

--------------------------

MOU Sherburne Trip details:

* If you have previously signed up or were placed on the waiting list, please feel free to come - and advise me if you cannot.

* We meet at 7:00 AM in the Mahnomen Trail parking lot. Take 169 to Sherburne CR 9, 9 west into the refuge. Mahnomen is the first trail (on your left, or south).

* The tentative plan to to bird Mahnomen & Blue Hill Trails, followed by the Auto Tour, and break for lunch. For those who are doing the optional afternoon portion, we'll head north to Mille Lacs Lake and, perhaps, Kathio State Park.

* Trip totals have historically run from the 82 to 106 species. It's statistically improbable that we will continue our string of 20+ warbler days, but will do our best.

* Weather decisions will be made on-site. Light to medium rain would probably mean starting with the Auto Tour first. Torrential downpours, followed by on-going poor weather, would probably lead to cancellation. Final call will be made that morning, please use your judgment.

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties