Plenty of shorebirds at this drawdown later this PM.  Highlight was 3 Hudsonian
Godwits.  Especially interesting considering the conversation on this listserve
the other day about how similar a Marbled Godwit can be in some plumages.  Two
of these birds were traditional breeding plumaged birds.  Not hard to identify
at all.

The 3rd was a brownish gray in color under the cloudy rain threatening skies.
Seemed to be a bit bigger than the other two.  By the way, we were probably
only 150 yards away with 50 power spotting scopes.  The bill was identically
colored but did seem to be a bit longer.  But upon close examination, while it
was preening, it was obvious that the bird had a black banded tail with a white
base.  Thus it definitely was a Hudsonian Godwit.  We presume that one of the
sexes of Hudsonian Godwit is a bit larger with a longer bill and we would bet
that the bird not in breeding plumage was a different sex than the other two.
By the was that bird did tend to roam away from the two while feeding although
when they decided to preen they were lined up side by side at the very edge of
the water.

Kind of neat was when they lined up to preen, with the other species very close
by, so minor movements of the scope allowed good size comparison with a
Long-billed Dowitcher, several Willits, a Greater Yellowlegs, and several
Lesser Yellowlegs.  We never realized that a Long-billed Dowitcher bill is
almost the same length as a Hudsonian Godwit.

Other shorebirds present included Least, Pectoral, Stilt and Spotted
sandpipers, Short-billed Dowitcher,  Wilson's and Red-necked phalaropes, and
Killdeer for a total of  13 species.  It's getting better each day of
migration.  And a Western Kingbird was flycatching off the mud in the cold
weather.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
Shorewood, MN
dbmar...@skypoint.com