Hi all,

On Saturday, I was walking in the woods at Schaar's Bluff (I was on the trail
on the south of the visitor center, near the meadow) where they've clear cut
the area off the trail, and I heard a strange sound to my right.  It sounded
like a bird gurgling water bubbles (I know of no other way to describe the
sound I heard).  I know it was a bird and this was its "call note", because
later on it did some "trilling" (its song).

I've listened to some bird songs, but I've not yet heard anything that comes
close to what I heard.  In my mind, I know I've heard some bird's callnote
being compared to this, but I can't recall which species.

I am leaning toward something like a thrush or warber.  It was either on the
ground or high up in a tree (I am leaning about 99% toward it being up high in
a tree).  It's none of the thrushes I've listened to (Wood, Veery, Swainson's,
Gray-cheeked) and I have only listened to a few Warblers.  It's not a water
bird as I was not close to the water.

I'm totally stumped and I'm hoping for some help.

Richard

Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.

Hastings, MN

rwood...@yahoo.com