No doubt of it! I birded around Pope County much of this week and had a similar, but anecdotal, experience. Martins were trying to feed low over any body of water, as were swallows. I saw very weak Martins that I am sure will not survive.

Sid Stivland
Plymouth (and Pope County)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Frederickson" <fredericks...@willmar.k12.mn.us>
To: <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU>
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 12:41 PM
Subject: [mou-net] lethal week for martins

Four days of rain and temps in the 30's-40's have hit purple martins hard in most of Minnesota. Preliminary numbers here in Kandiyohi county suggest we had about 10% mortality by late yesterday, with a second group of birds too
weak to fly and soon to succumb.  Combined with last year's large chick
die-off, it has been a tough 10 months on these little guys.

I'm curious what other martin "landlords" are finding throughout the
state(?)

Randy Frederickson

Willmar