My wife, Jan , and I were having brunch this morning at  Running Aces
harness racing track near Forest Lake. The track is a big dirt and  gravel oval
which surrounds a grass and marsh area. We have observed egrets,  herons and
other waterfowl there while dining on several occasions. This  morning, Jan
asked me what was coming out of the grass and onto the track. I  looked at
where she directed me an saw a pair of sandhill cranes followed by 2  very
small colts walking onto the dirt track They must have nested in the area
surrounded by the track. The parents walked up to the fence enclosure on  the
outside perimeter and then returned to the grassy area and followed it
around the edge in front of the restaurant showing off their offspring to the
diners.

Peter Erickson
Ramsey County