Remembering those years of early parenthood, when we would sometimes take the
kids for a week on the beach in the winter (before school grades and activities
kept them here), we could find Yellow-crowned and Black-crowned Night Herons on
the backwaters of places like Laguna Atascosa and So. Padre Island (not on the
Gulf beach, too wavy), right along with the Great Blue Herons, Louisiana
Herons, Cattle Egrets, Common Egrets, Little Blue Herons, Tri-colored Herons,
and sometimes even Roseate Spoonbills, and any number of terns, gulls,
skimmers, shorebirds, Brown Pelicans, some feeding along the watery irrigation
ditches next to busy highways (not the pelicans!), or watching from a dock or a
tree branch as the shrimp boats would come in to Pt. Isabel. So, I think if the
herons seem 'tame' here, it's because they ARE used to people, and sometimes
not above mooching a by-catch fish or dead shrimp meal or two.

Those southern locations in winter are good spots to watch the different
fishing techniques of the waders! If you go to Aransas and take the boat trip,
you can see all of the above AND Whooping Cranes feeding along the shallow
waterways, paying no attention to boat traffic.

Holly Peirson

Columbus, Anoka Co.