A Kansas Dept of Wildlife and Parks brochure about crane hunting has this
statement:

As whooping crane numbers increase, we all must work
harder to minimize the chance of accidental shootings. Those
opposed to hunting, and sandhill crane hunting in particular,
are watching for migratory bird hunters to make a mistake.
Future accidental shootings may end sandhill crane hunting
in Kansas or elsewhere where it is currently legal.
There are two important things hunters can do to minimize
the chance of accidentally shooting a whooping crane.
1) make sure to identify game species and all the
nongame species that look similar to game
species, and
2) only shoot when absolutely sure of the target.
The latter may mean that you pass up some legal shots, but
with a fine of up to $100,000 and prison time of up to 1 year
for shooting a whooping crane, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Will MN crane hunters be subject to (and aware of) a deterrent like this?

Yes, there are examples of poor behavior by birders but also by hunters. On one
trip to Salt Lake WMA (on MN/SD border for the non-MN readers), someone had
shot 2 ketrels and stuffed the beaks into the edge of the sign about birding
the lake so the carcasses dangled there as a not very subtle message to birders.

BTW, Mark's reasoned response to all the unfounded anti-birder ranting is one
of the reasons I am on a monthly giving plan to the MN Audubon chapter.

Mike