This morning Maureen and I hiked on the part of Elm Creek Park Reserve's Lake Trail that is east and northeast of Mud Lake. Maureen spotted our first NORTHERN SHRIKE of the season perched a short distance north of the wooden footbridge that is just north of the swimming area. Later I noticed 2 GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS along the small stream immediately west of the swimming area. Between these locations Maureen also spied a roosting GREAT HORNED OWL who didn't seem to mind us walking within 25 feet of its perch.

This northern shrike was exactly where we have seen an overwintering shrike almost annually for over a decade. Over the last two winters we've seen it several times a week as we ski through this area. It's generally perched somewhere between the wooden foot bridge and the Lake Trail hill ("Baldy") at the NE end of Mud Lake.

Ron Refsnider
Coon Rapids, MN