Hi this is Chad Griggs who Mr. Hendrickson named in the below emailer sent
out today. I just got home from a 20 hour day to go up north to enjoy a
day of wildlife viewing, photography and quiet time in the woods. I'm
not emailing with any intent of starting an argument. But I do want to
say that I'm disappointed the approach to this matter. Mike, if we had
offended you in any way today we were available for you in person to say
 something right there and we would have quickly apologized and
explained ourselves. The fact is that I've been in contact with Jim for
quite a while and that is how I knew about the feeders. In fact Jim and I
 have shot together at that location using the exact same strategies.
You and I may disagree but I don't see harm in taking down some feeders
or covering them up while we place perches near the active feeders. The
birds are still getting fed and we are able to do what we love to do,
photograph the beautiful birds.

A couple of other things I wanted to clear up as well. First, we were
also disappointed to see much of the large branches near the boreal
chickadee spot were broken off. It appears that much of the brush near
the road had been trimmed back although I'm not sure if that was the
cause of this or not. However, we did use some of those broken branches
as perches for Gray Jays to land on. But let me be clear, we did not
break those branches off.

Also, the email sent out for some reason insinuates that we were either
using a fishing pole or live mice to bait owls. The only mention of this
 during our brief conversation was you suggesting that the only way to
get good photographs of Northern Hawk Owls was to bait them with mice.
Then you asked us if we had any mice and we told you no. So I'm not sure
 if you were talking about us in this emailer, but it seems that you
were suggesting us.

In closing I am just disappointed that you decided to bring this to
public attention without consulting with anyone involved. You had an
opportunity to express your misgivings to us in person and decided
against it. In fact, we were quite happy with our meeting you today
because you were nice enough to give us some areas to look for hawk
owls. Unfortunately we didn't see any owls.

I understand that there are many passionate people in the birding and
wildlife conservation community and I'm one of them. We didn't mean to
offend anybodies sensibilities and though you named us as professional
photographers the truth is I am relatively new to the birding community
and just recently started receiving the M.O.U. emails. In the short time
 I've been meeting with other M.O.U. members I have gained great joy in
being a part of a community with similar interests as mine. Over the
past year I've had several days like today where I've been able to have a
 blast seeing and photographing new species that I've never seen before.
 And though I'm not a professional photographer I do hope to some day be
 able to inspire others though my photography and promote conservation.
So it seems we share a similar passion and I believe we are on the same
team.

PS - I have no desire to fill the inboxes of M.O.U. subscribers with a back and
fourth on this subject, so if anybody wishes to continue this conversation feel
free to email me privately.

Chad Griggs