Greetings,

I realize that this is not a bona fide birding sighting, but nonetheless, I
thought it could generate some discussion on a cold and snowy weekend.  While
walking around my neighborhood in St Paul (como park area), I found a Chukar
feeding on the ground under a neighbor's bird feeder.  I have never seen
Chukars in this area, let alone ever in the wild (even in my visits to the
west).  I realize that they are released and they escape all over the US, even
in areas outside of the established western populations.

But I am wondering if anyone has any expertise on whether there is ANY chance
of "wild" (i.e. from the established western populations) Chukars showing up in
Minnesota, or if it is assumed to be impossible due to a lack of documented
vagrancy in the species.  I know that all birds are assumed to be escapees or
releases.  To add an interesting aspect to this, the current major snowstorm we
are experiencing tracked out of the interior west from an area with wild
Chukars.  I know that the prospect of this being a wild bird is highly
unlikely, but again I thought this could be a good question for a day when few
birds are being reported.

Please try to keep any comments on topic, as I don't intend for this post to
generate a lengthy discussion about what makes something native/non-native or
invasive/not invasive.

Scott Loss
St Paul