Today I was guiding some wonderful birdwatching friends around the bog, and
we had a spectacular time! Snow fell lightly to moderately all morning/day
long, and with the sun partially hidden behind a snowy ceiling all day long,
the bog seemed to glow with picturesque arctic and boreal beauty. One of the
biggest highlights of the day was seeing a juvenile NORTHERN GOSHAWK flush
right in front of us and quickly zip into the woods!! This is only the
second non-migrating goshawk I have ever seen in my life. The first one was
two years ago - an adult goshawk in the bog as well! Rough-legged Hawks
always hit the spot with their fluffy beauty too. Below is our bird list
from today :-)

Northern Goshawk  1
Rough-legged Hawk  2 (one light and one dark)
Bald Eagle  3
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Blue Jay  2
Gray Jay  2
Black-billed Magpie  2
Common Raven ~40+
Boreal Chickadee  2
Black-capped Chickadee  ~14
Red-breasted Nuthatch  2
Northern Shrike  2
Purple Finch  1 (female at feeder)
Common Redpoll  1 flyover
White-winged Crossbill  1 flyover
Pine Grosbeak  ~20+

Black-capped Chickadee:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/131765525

Black-capped and Boreal Chickadee butts:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/131765528

Boreal Chickadee:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/131765529
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/131765530
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/131765531

Downy Woodpecker
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/131765534

Beautiful snow, covering the beautiful bog:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/131765535
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/131765536

Enjoy the photos. Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

NATURALLY AVIAN - Guided birdwatching tours and bird photography
www.pbase.com/birdfedr
birdf...@gmail.com