Speaking of butter-butts, here's one I had in my backyard yesterday
morning. Not too many opportunities to see them in the snow!

http://www.pbase.com/gymell/image/134079914

I just noticed one on feedercam too. I have suet out but it's in upside
down feeders. So maybe it was going after peanuts or seeds.

> These little guys (and gals) are omnivores, and generalists. That's why
> they
> are so common and can come earlier than many other migrants. They don't
> need
> to wait for the caterpillars and inch worms and other like food. I have
> had
> them eating suet in many of the colder springs. You may also find them
> eating last year's flower seeds just like a goldfinch or chickadee.
>
> That's why we see Tree Swallows earlier than other swallows, too.
>
> Holly Peirson
> SE Anoka Co.

Liz Stanley
Bloomington, MN