I've never birded Stearns County much, but decided since I'm living here for a
while, I should.  Wow - it's a big county!  I had a great time, and discovered
several WMA's and WPA's that I'll definitely visit again in the coming weeks.

The most interesting birds were at my first stop - the Albany Sewage Ponds.  As
the day progressed, I saw lots of birds, but nothing unexpected.

Albany Sewage Ponds visit took a whole hour.
Horned grebes - about a dozen birds were fun to watch.
Ruddy ducks (my favorite) were numerous.  Ten waterfowl species total.
Bonaparte's Gulls - FOY - about a dozen.  Ring-billed gulls were common.
Cliff Swallows - FOY, and just 3 birds.  Tree swallows are numerous.
Grasshopper sparrow was calling from across the road.  Vesper was there too.
And then there was this little shorebird - a peep - all by itself.  I thought
it
was a semipalmated sandpiper, but after showing a photo to a few people, and
getting a couple of different opinions, I'm not sure. If you'd like to see a
photo, let me know.  I got a really good one.  Please be kind and forget that
my
last job was at Bear River, the shorebird capital of the western hemisphere...

Red-necked grebes on Kranz Lake - just south of Albany - and also on Upper
Spunk
Lake.  And just a little farther south, a lark sparrow.

Forster's tern numbers are building here on Upper Spunk Lake and two Caspian
terns showed up last evening.  I thought it was a little early, but, there they
were.

I noticed quite a few people on the lakes south of Richmond already have their
hummingbird feeders out.  Do they know something I don't?   Or are they still
hanging there from last fall?

Betsy Beneke
Avon, Stearns County