Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter
Field trip report
April 27, 28, 29, 2011

Martin & Faribault counties

We encountered lots of wind and some rain over the three days.  But did find a
few interesting species, including the previously reported White-faced Ibis.

Here are some of the species our group observed:

4/27 - Faribault county
Wild Turkey
Barred Owl
Pileated Woodpecker
Hermit Thrush
Swamp Sparrow
Yellow-headed Blackbird

4/28 - Martin County
Snow Goose - several observed at the Ceylon Sewage ponds
Western Grebe - several observed at Budd Lake
White-faced Ibis - Note previous posting for location and that the birds were
not relocated on the 29th at this location.
Osprey
Merlin
Hudsonian Godwit - Three Hudsonian Godwits were in a flooded field along CR 50,
just West of Minnesota Highway 15.  There were also Greater and Lesser
Yellowlegs and a single Pectoral Sandpiper
                           present at this spot.   Also note that other
observers did not see the Godwit's on the 29th, but there were still other
shorebirds at this location.
Eurasian Collared Dove -A single bird was observed and heard in the town of
Granada.
Hermit Thrush
Brown Thrasher
Harris's Sparrow - One

4/29 - Martin & Faribault Counties
We began the morning with an unsuccessful attempt to relocate the previously
reported Spotted Towhee in the town of Fairmont.  Thanks go out to Ed for
posting this species.
Red-necked Grebe - Wells Sewage ponds - on the South side of the South pond.
Eared Grebe - Wells sewage ponds - same pond as the Red-necked Grebe
Western Grebe - 100+, were observed at Minnesota Lake.
Cattle Egret - We relocated the previously posted Cattle Egret along the East
side of 405th Ave., at 4:00 pm.  The bird was still present at 4:30, when we
departed.  Although, it had moved somewhat to the North, after a stray cat
walked through the area it was feeding in.
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk
Barred Owl
Chimney Swift
Swallow's - There were large numbers of Tree Swallows migrating through today,
in addition to a lesser number of Barn Swallows.  Also observed a single Purple
Martin, Bank and Northern Rough-winged Swallow.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Brown Thrasher
Nashville Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler - lots