With rain subsiding, the daily exercise hour went back on the agenda,
and L. Vadnais was the destination. On the west side we enjoyed great
views of a flock of Forster's Terns. On the east side, a young loon
gave us close looks. But the real treat was in the conifers just west
of the canal between the upper and lower lakes.
There, among trees swarming with Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Pine Siskins,
and Yellow-rumps, was a rather co-operative Pine Warbler foraging in a
conifer and regaling us with song periodically. Its song was answered
by another from the opposite side of the path, so there may have been
at least two Pine Warblers.
As if the day could improve on that, we looked out into the pine at
the front of the house, checking on one of our visiting sapsuckers,
and found a Swainson's Thrush looking back at us from 4 feet away. It
was a first for our yard.
Linda Whyte