I have been on Child Lake for 58 years. For the first time I have a Ring-necked
that has obviously nested on our lake. She has only 3 ducklings that are only
5-7 days old. What is puzzling is her lack of fear having her and her small
brood in close proximity of humans and dogs. My niece and grand-nieces are here
(10-6). They have been swimming near my dock 2-3 times a day with their
Labradoodle. (forgive me). The female R-N stays just outside the perimeter of
the swim area and seems oblivious to the raucous and high-pitched splashing and
goings on of my two nieces and dog. Today the 3 young were sleeping in the
rice/lily pads not 15' from the activity. Mother duck feeds or bathes during
this time. They even close the distance at times to 3-4 yards at times. I know
the R-N's nest in the many backwood potholes near by and ponds especially in
the Chippewa Natl. Forrest just north of me. This is the first time I've
noticed this species on my lake during the summer. I surmise that she is a
first time mother and not very cagy in the ways of the world. Anyone seen
similar behavior? This has me perplexed.  Bruce

--
Hackensack/Longville
Cass County, Mn