From: Warren Woessner <wwoess...@slwip.com>
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2011 3:21 PM
Subject: [mou-net] Mini-Review "The Big Year"

Ignore the Strib pan of "The Big Year" and go see it, before it's gone. The
movie is based on the book about the 1998 "competition" between Sandy Komito
(Owen Wilson), Al Levantin (Steve Martin) and Greg Wilson (Jack Black) to break
Komito's 1987 big year record for the ABA area. I met Komito when he was doing
his 1987 big year, and birded with him on Attu in 1990. Wilson does a good job
of capturing his intensity, quirkiness and humor.

How you will feel about this movie probably depends a lot on your opinions
about listing and big years, days, months, etc., but Iris and I loved it! I had
dragged her to many of the locales that are de rigeur if you are list-building,
like the Brownsville Dump and Patagonia, that are shown in the movie. Isabella
Rosellini's spot-on impression of "Annie Auklet" just nails Debbie Shearwater
and her pelagic empire. There are plenty of ornithological improbabilities -
particularly on Attu - but if you want to know what Attu was like in the 90's -
or would enjoy "seeing" it again, GO now - "The Big Year" will probably not be
in theatres for long.

Warren Woessner