I actually want to talk about three different things.

First, I went to the boardwalk on Long Meadow Lake at Old Cedar Avenue for a
little while around lunch time.  I was surprised by the variety of waterfowl
present:
Mallards - many
Canada Goose - many
Northern Shoveler - Seen around 20
Northern Pintail - 2
American Wigeon - 3
Green-winged Teal - 8+
Bufflehead - 1
Ring-necked Duck - 70+
American Coot - 1000+

I was hoping to see a little bit of variety, but this was more than I
expected.  I also saw Swamp Sparrows and Song Sparrows on the way to the
boardwalk.

I also noticed some discussion about eBird.  I just wanted to add that I
personally love using eBird.  I enter all of my data into eBird and also use
it to find data/trends/etc both statewide and nationally.  It is a good tool
to use if you are looking for specific birds, especially if you are looking
for new or unusual birds.  It is also useful for finding places to bird,
especially if you are going on vacation somewhere, because you can look and
see some birding "hotspots" anywhere that people are using eBird.

In relation to the use of eBird, I decided to look for sightings of
Common/Hoary Redpolls this fall in North America after seeing Al
Schirmacher's report about possibly hearing a Redpoll.  It seems starting a
week ago there have been 7 reports of Common Redpolls all in Canada near the
border (5 being on the north side of Lake Superior) and one report of a
Hoary Redpoll between Winnipeg and Minnesota. So I don't think it would be
impossible for Redpolls to be punching into Minnesota, if they were on the
north side of Lake Superior as of a week ago.

Ben Harste
Bloomington, MN