This is getting to be pretty typical in recent years.
I'm told they've done some dredging of the river at Alma and the food
supply dropped due to deeper water and it doesn't support swans any longer.

Brownsville overlook has been the best place to see Tundra Swans for the
last few years now.

I was out on the river further south (pool 9 south of Lansing, IA) and saw
a raft of about 50,000 Canvasback. Other duck numbers are still low as of
yet.

--Chris

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Ned Winters <nwint...@isd.net> wrote:

> Four of us did our annual Halloween Swan trip this weekend. They are there
> but not in great numbers yet. According to USFWS at the Brownsville
> overlook, they are running about a week and a half later than normal,
> probably due to mild weather and abundant food in the northern climates.
>
> We found about 200 swans at Brownsville, Houston County. Approx 50 at
> Weaver
> Bottoms, Wabasha County. None at Reick's Lake, Alma, WI and about 100 south
> of La Crosse off Hwy 35, near Co Rd K.
>
> Ned Winters
>
> South St Paul, MN

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Madison, WI