From: Minnesota Birds [mailto:MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Bill
Penning
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2011 6:52 PM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [mou-net] My Request Reply

I don't usually jump into these things but this time I feel compelled to. I
would offer the following for your consideration in no particular order:

1) I believe that what constitutes disturbance is somewhat arbitrary. If a
bird looks at you is it disturbed? If it flies to the next power pole is it
disturbed? I'm not sure what disturbance is when its not nesting season.
When it comes right down to it only the bird "knows" when its been
disturbed.

*** Disturbance of a given bird can be very real.  In 1987 the main reason I
saw the Crane Hawk while I was standing on the dike at Sta. Ana NWR was
because people walking through the brush flushed the bird.  In the early
1990s there was an Eared Trogon nest in the Huachuca Mountains that failed
because of birder harassment. Given the fact that the things can be heard a
quarter to half a mile away, it used to be alternately amusing and annoying
to watch birders chase each other's Elegant Trogon calls in SE Arizona.  The
fact was that a friend and I had one right above our tent one morning. There
have been a number of rare birds that have been chased out of the area if
not out of the US by overeager birders. The City of San Antonio flat bans
the use of bird calls to attract Golden-cheeked Warblers on its natural
areas.  In that case I will have to admit that I have been amused to watch
power runner after power runner on the main trail on the site run by
entirely oblivious to a Golden-cheeked Warbler screaming its lungs out at
Government Canyon State Natural Area. --SH

2) Ethics are a personal thing. We have guidelines and I fully support them
but some things are in a gray area. I think baiting owls is one of them. In
this thread we have had assertions that disturbing owls causes an energetic
drain that could result in death AND the argument that feeding owls is
wrong. If the energetics argument is true wouldn't baiting be a good thing?
Is it ok for banders to use bait but not photographers? If so why? Is
banding somehow a more noble purpose? I respect Mike's personal sense of
ethics when it comes to baiting but personally I'm much more ambiguous on
the subject.

I think we run into problems when we try to impose our personal ethics on
others in gray areas. In my opinion that's what the Great Whooping Crane
Debate was all about. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying there should be no
rules and I think egregious violations should be sanctioned through peer
pressure.

*** Agreed--SH

3) Some people have no sense of ethics and will violate what others consider
ethical without remorse. I think it diminishes us all if we quit cooperating
with each other for the benefit of the many because of the behavior of the
few.

**** Agreed.  For example one fellow I spoke with at a famous birding site
in South Texas was proud about spot-lighting Ferruginous Pygmy-Owls below
Falcon Dam. This was especially egregious because the things are diurnal in
the first place, ie:  Active during daylight hours--SH

4) Minnesota has always had a strong cadre of dedicated expert birders who
willingly share information. I've had birders from other states specifically
point that out to me with envy. I hear tales of secretiveness, cliques,
unfriendly competition, hard feelings and even vengeance. Lets not go there.

***** All of the birder I have met from Minnesota have been fine, honest,
people--SH

5) As a wildlife biologist I'm trained to think that population level
affects are where we should be concerned. I flat out reject the animal
rights argument which is what we're dangerously close to here. Frankly, I
have a hard time getting worked up if an individual bird is disturbed
(whatever that is). I think that the educational potential, camaraderie and
sense of a friendly and cooperative community are more important than a
theoretical disturbance to an individual bird. I also think that in the long
run its better on the population level because happy birders are politically
active birders (or should be). Voting in support of actions that protects
and improves habitat is far more important in the end.

****Agreed entirely--SH

6) Personally I'd rather not know about a rare bird if the directions given
are so vague that there's no hope of finding it. It just frustrates me and
I'd rather read about it in the Loon in six months. To post or not post is
your decision but I'd rather not be teased.

****Agreed entirely!  Going back to 1970 when I got into this stuff I have
been assisted by many means.  I have learned while on the job on a banding
crew in college.  After college I learned from field trip leaders with
various birding groups.  In the heyday of bird alert tapes I spent a good
deal of money calling and recording messages from places I was going to bird
at.  Books like Kim Eckert's, the various "Lane" guides to this place or
that place and other similar books have had good enough details to get me a
much better chance of finding given target birds.  The various Internet
birding bulletin boards around the US have aided virtually everyone in their
quest to see new species of birds.  People just need to use some common
courtesy in that quest--SH

To paraphrase what Mike said after offering his opinions on a controversial
topic last winter: "let the flaming e-mails begin".

Bill

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Michael Hendrickson <mlhendrick...@yahoo.com