When the major push of birds have gone through, and the straggling rares are
being reported, it seems we come up with controversial subjects to fill in
the gaps on the M.O.U.. Its been really interesting to read everyone’s
approach to ethics and reporting, and I have gleaned much from all. I report
rare birds sometimes and at other times I enter the data, but do not report
on the list serve. My reasons. First, if I find a rare I want to
substantiate it, so I don't have people running great distances to be let
down. It waists their time and money and doesn't do much for my reputation.
If it is substantiated, I also want to be sure it will hang around for a
while so others may get a look. I will check back a few times a day so I
know it will be there. Second, I do look at the impact the report may have
upon the safety of the bird and how it would affect the people who live
close. In past reports from Herb Dingman, I noticed how he would give
information about viewing areas and on things to avoid. He taught me to give
as much info relating to the least infringement on local residents and on
the bird and environment. Next, Some birds I omit on the list serve
intentionally. Because of the land owners request, or the impact upon the
bird, I only enter the data on the M.O.U.. But, the bird does not go
unnoticed. I have a circle of birder associates that I have learned to trust
and respect. I usually call Milt Blomberg who contacts Herb Dingman, who is
in contact with Ron Erpelding who may contact Barb and Denny Martin. These
people are excellent birders who live the ethics of birding and have taught
me. I respect them and they substantiate my sitings. Also, the best part of
this is developing friendships and trust with other birders and is as
important as finding the birds. Mike Hendrickson is an excellent,
conscientious birder as is Bob Russel. I have gleaned a lot  from both and
respect each. Listen to what they say and learn. There are not two sides to
this issue but your own experiences, what you have learned from others, and
what is important to the bird and environment.  Personally, I do dislike
when people report and give no more info than a rare bird is in the state.
If I can't go see it it would be better not to hear about it. What is the
intent of the reporter? To lift up ones name and to dangle the candy in
front of others. Also, I find good rare bird info by going into the query
database and find all I need. Beyond this,people like Anthony Hertzel, Jim
Lind, Kim Eckert,and Jeanne Joppru  do a good job reporting rare area
sitings. The M.O.U. Is a great site but it is not perfect. We are all
learning and that's what the intent of the M.O.U. is.  P.S. Found  a Saw
Whet Owl, Golden Eagle, Ravens and a Black Billed Magpie last weekend in the
Boudora State Forest Area in Hubbard County, but, there were not many
pull-offs and Hwy 64 is very well traveled.  Have a good weekend and may
your birding be rewarding.   Frank Gosiak, Little Falls area.