From: Minnesota Birds [mailto:MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of dan&erika
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2011 9:19 AM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [mou-net] Fish Crows in Minneapolis????

Hi All--

Working on my blog, I serendipitously wrote a post today about the Fish
Crow. ( http://dantallmansbirdblog.blogspot.com ) Come to discover that Fish
Crows are found up the Mississippi Valley to St. Louis and accidentally into
southern Ontario!  Fish Crows are moving north. Twice this fall I saw or
heard odd crows.  One was noticeably small but not obviously young.  Another
time I heard crows call like a Fish Crow--this was in Updown near 47th
street or so.  At the time, not knowing that a Fish Crow was remotely
possible, I wrote the calls off as off-pitch American Crows.

No way I am listing these!  But we should be on the alert.  The two species
are so similar, I am somewhat puzzled as to how one would tell them apart
here in Minnesota.  I have Fish and American crow calls on the blog.

dan

--
Dan or Erika Tallman
Northfield, Minnesota

".... the best shod travel with wet feet"
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes ...."--Thoreau