From: Frank Gosiak <fgos...@gmail.com>
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Sent: Monday, November 7, 2011 3:08 PM
Subject: [mou-net] Fish Crow

After all the discussions about birding ethics and reporting (very
rewarding) it is refreshing to hear about Fish Crows. My thought is: How do
you report a bird when the best identifier is its vocals? I've been fooled
by Blue jays who can imitate many birds, especially, my local Red Shouldered
Hawk. If a Fish Crow is so similar to an American Crow in appearance this is
going to be tough. Habitat is also in the mix but we are all aware that the
American Crow can be found anywhere. I went to the recordings immediately
after seeing the new posts on the Fish Crow. I have heard this sound, but,
like many others passed it off as a variation of the American Crow. Also, I
started to think of other things that could make this sound (bad wheel
bearing, scraping branch ect.). Crows are in the general area all the time
and I would have to see the vocal come out of the birds mouth. Also, I would
like to know what the M.O.U. Selection Committee would like to see in a
report. Can't report anything right now but I sure will be more watchful.
This one is going to be tough to verify. Especially, if I report one
tomorrow. I suppose I could send a picture to verify it.  Frank Gosiak
Little Falls,  Morrison County