I arrived at Wisconsin Point around sunrise this morning with my friend
Seth from Hawk Ridge. The birding from the shoreline was just outstanding
this morning! We started at Lot 1, and made our way towards the Superior
Entry. The ducks are really moving through, and among the many distant
gulls at Lot 1, I found one gorgeous & frosty juvenile Glaucous Gull. We
then made our way along Allouez Bay, checking out the patches of gulls and
ducks. We spent some time at the Superior Entry, and finished the morning
by visiting Lot 1 one last time. Two distant, digiscoped-by-hand shots are
below. Under them are my eBird lists from this morning. Enjoy!

Great Black-backed Gull (on the Minnesota side of the Superior Entry)
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139555678

Thayer's Gull (on Allouez Bay)
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139555679

*I wrote some differences between juvenile Thayer's Gulls & juvenile
Herring Gulls within the "Thayer's Gull" link above. Below are some shots
from the past two years, of juvenile Thayer's Gulls and Herring Gulls (for
comparison).

Perched juvenile Thayer's Gull next to a perched 1st-cycle Herring Gull
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/119193223

Juvenile Herring Gulls in-flight
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/130434299
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/119116654

Juvenile Thayer's Gulls in flight
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/119116659
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/119317412

*Wisconsin Point-- Lot 1 (first pull-off on the right)*
Trumpeter/Tundra Swan  4
American Black Duck  1
Mallard  15
Greater/Lesser Scaup  15
Surf Scoter  2
White-winged Scoter  8
Bufflehead  2
Common Goldeneye  3
Hooded Merganser  2
Common Merganser  3
Red-breasted Merganser  2
Common/Red-breasted Merganser  10
Common Loon  3
Bald Eagle  2
Ring-billed Gull  50
Herring Gull  800
GLAUCOUS GULL 1 (juvenile)
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  1
Common Raven  1
Black-capped Chickadee  2
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
American Robin  1
Snow Bunting  25
American Tree Sparrow  2
Rusty Blackbird  1
Common Redpoll  25

*Allouez Bay (the bay side, along the stretch of WI Point)*
American Black Duck  1
Mallard  2
Canvasback  3
Redhead  1
Greater/Lesser Scaup  20
Bufflehead  3
Common Goldeneye  10
Hooded Merganser  10
Common/Red-breasted Merganser  3
Bald Eagle  1
Ring-billed Gull  30
Herring Gull  5
Thayer's Gull  1 (juvenile, seen on one of the islands with a few RB and
Herring Gulls)
Pine Siskin  15

*Wisconsin Point--Superior Entry*
Common Loon  1
PEREGRINE FALCON 1 (perched on inland-building rooftop)
Ring-billed Gull  4
Herring Gull  60
GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL 1 (seen on MN side of the Superior Entry)
American Crow  1

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Guided Birdwatching Trips and Bird photography
www.pbase.com/birdfedr