Andrew Krenz and I did a little exploration of Blue Earth
Hey birders,

Andrew Krenz and I did a little exploration of Blue Earth County.  We were
looking for loons and scoters primarily on the lakes around Lake Crystal (Lily,
Crystal, Loon, Mills).

We found two Horned Grebes on the eastern half of Loon Lake.  A Double-crested
Cormorant was found on both Loon and Crystal Lakes.  Ducks were pretty far out
and hard to identify due to the wind-factor, but we were able to tease out
Redhead, Mallard, Gadwall, Ring-necked, and Northern Shoveler.  We're still
awaiting the diver push.

On 535th Avenue south of Hwy 60 (location where Common Gallinules nested this
past year) we stumbled across some late birds: American Golden-Plover (1),
Killdeer (1), Pectoral Sandpiper (1), Greater Yellowlegs (1), and Franklin's
Gull (1).  The gull did not look like it was in good condition, but the
yellowlegs seemed worse off.  There was a 9-inch stick through its neck!
Except for occasionally trying to dislodge the stick, it appeared unfazed and
was actively feeding.  I'll try and post some of the pictures Andrew took
through my spotting scope sometime in the near future.

Other species of note: Northern Flicker, White-throated Sparrow, Fox Sparrow,
Harris' Sparrow

Happy Birding!

Chad Heins
Mankato, MN

"But ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they
will tell you; Which of all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has
done this?" --Job 12:7, 9