It's been quite exciting to see the many posts on snowy owl sightings. Having
never seen one, my hopes are to find one this winter and photograph it. However
as a novice birder, I'm not sure what the best plan of action would be.

Friday I got some nice eagle photos, and stopped at the eagle center in
Wabasha. A birder who works there told me of an owl regularly being seen near
Onalska, and he gave me specific directions to the place off a county road near
fence post and a barn down the road. While tempting, I'm also wondering if it's
worth driving 3 hours to a place I've never been in an attempt to find the owl,
or
if I'm better waiting and looking on this list, and spending the time along
Black Dog
Road. I had no problem finding the Purple Sandpiper this fall and driving a
couple
of hours, but for those of you with more experience is a snowy owl reported at
location likely to be seen at the same spot repeatedly?

Any tips would be appreciated. I'll be going up to Sax-Zim in January as well,
so
may get lucky there though I'll be with a friend who has more experience than
me
on that trip - typically I head out alone with my photo gear. Thanks for the
advice and Merry Christmas,
Fr. Paul