I betrayed my Minnesota birding friends, and went solo up the Wisconsin side
today, and when I came across the Blatnik bridge I noticed a large number of
gulls near the 27th Ave. WLSSD plant.  I still headed for Canal Park, where
there were just a handful of gulls, so I headed back to the 27th Ave. area.  I
had never tried negotiating this area (never had a state bird to chase here
before!).  I asked for permission at the dump area, and they said I had to stay
outside the fences.  What they did NOT tell me, is that there is a corridor
BETWEEN fences (just left of gate 11A) that takes you closer to the gulls
roosting on the ice anyway!  So I parked near some other cars and walked down
to the harbor.  I'm 90% sure I was legal here.  There appeared to be about 400
gulls, and thankfully the Glaucous-winged was relatively close (150 yds.), as
many birds were too distant to ID.  I'm thinking perhaps the wind caused the
gulls to favor this area over Canal Park.  I didn't stay too long, but I did
note at least eleven Glaucous Gulls as well.
Dedrick BenzWinona, MN