Yesterday I guided a birder around Sax-Zim Bog. The morning & mid-day snow
made for an incredibly beautiful time. Our day started out with the
raspy-yet-beautiful call of Evening Grosbeaks, flocks bouncy Black-capped
Chickadees and a few  Red-breasted Nuthatches. As the day progressed, we
had a total of 3 Black-billed Magpies, one gorgeous Boreal Chickadee, one
Downy and one Hairy Woodpecker, two Arctic Fluffballs (Rough-legged Hawks),
and at least 1,200 Common Redpolls!

Below are my favorite shots from yesterday. Enjoy!

Gray Jay
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610627

Black-capped Chickadee
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610615
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610620
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610618

Boreal Chickadee
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610625

Red-breasted Nuthatch
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610629

Very distant Black-billed Magpie
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610613

White-winged Crossbills
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610639

The Two Harbors Christmas bird count was an absolute blast! Below are my
favorite shots from Dec 18th (the Two Harbors CBC). Enjoy!

Common Redpolls
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610113
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610112
**note the orange-crowned Common Redpoll in the picture above. Is this
equivalent to an orange-variant House Finch?
Here is a photo I took my freshman year at Northland College, of an
orange-crowned Common Redpoll. http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/85379339

White-winged Crossbills, first two photos are of a male and female in
flight, for comparison
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610134
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610131
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610133

Hairy Woodpecker
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610117

Arctic Fluffball (Rough-legged Hawk)
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610120
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610122

Three-toed Woodpecker!
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140610129

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Guided Birdwatching Trips and Bird photography
www.pbase.com/birdfedr