Butch Ukura and I birded around the area this past weekend and found a number of really good birds. We found a NORTHERN GOSHAWK in Crow Wing County along Spruce Grove Road, just off of C.R.11. The SNOWY OWL is still north of Aitkin near the junction of C.R. 1 and C.R.22, along the dirt road that goes straight north of the junction. Other notable birds: 9 TRUMPETER SWANS, 11 BALD EAGLES, 6 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS, 6 NORTHERN SHRIKES, 1 BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE, 5 GRAY JAYS along the snowmobile trail south of Pietz'z Road, lots of WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS, lots of PINE GROSBEAKS, 12 EVENING GROSBEAKS, hundreds of COMMON REDPOLLS and we were lucky enough to see the THREE-TOED WOODPECKER found by Herb Dingman(thank you) in Crow Wing County. Another highlight of the weekend was when we stopped to check the suet feeder we had put out along the snowmobile trail south of Pietz'a Road. There was a beautiful ERMINE busy feeding on it. It allowed us to watch it at close range for at least 15 minutes -- a real treat. We and the other birders at the Three-toed Woodpecker spot saw a GRAY FOX.
Warren Nelson