From: Minnesota Birds [mailto:MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Michael
Hendrickson
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:51 PM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [mou-net] Saw Whet Owl Thread

Back in November of 2011 I posted an email asking MOU listserv members to
not post owl locations because it will lure to many people and also put the
owl at risk by overly aggressive people with cameras.  I was called out be
some on the listserv for being selfish and mean because I was asking birders
to not share owl locations on the listserv.

Now I see a Saw Whet Owl was reported giving exact locations to view the
roosting Saw Whet Owl on the MOU-Net and of course and I was not surprised
by reading reports that crowds of birders and photographers came and
harassed the owl while it was roosting.  Well I guess all I can say is "I
TOLD YOU SO" !!!!

Other than blaming the birders & photographers for their lack of respect for
wildlife I think we can also point the finger at the MOU listserv moderators
for not regulating the listserv because this posting should of been removed
because I was led to believe that bird nesting locations and owl roost
locations were not permitted on the MOU-Net listserv.  There is no mention
of this on the general information page about the listserv on the MOU
website but then again maybe the MOU is accepting owl roost locations and
bird nesting locations on the listserv these days?

This is one of many reasons I do not share my posts on the listserv any more
because the MOU is getting pretty sloppy.

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
MikeHendricksonGuiding.com