The waterfowl migration is going strong in our area. We have been seeing
large numbers and a good diversity of birds in Lac qui Parle, Big Stone,
and southern Traverse Counties. I saw a couple of large flocks of
white-fronts and snow geese near Rothi and Kufrin Waterfowl Production
Areas this morning (Otrey Twp., Big Stone Co., about 5 mi north of Odessa).
There were also some impressive numbers of mallards and Canada geese. Other
waterfowl that arrived since Sunday include pintails, redheads, wood duck,
canvasback, ring-necks, scaup, common mergansers, hooded mergansers,
shovelers, wigeon, and green-winged teal.

Sara Vacek
Wildlife Biologist
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Morris Wetland Management District
43875 230th St.
Morris, MN 56267
320-589-4973
Find us on Facebook!

I've been watching the recent GWF Goose posts with interest and even
considering trying to see some birds of my own this weekend, but I'm
wondering if anyone has up-to-date info on where the highest goose numbers
have advanced to now.  Any info on good bets for seeing Greater
White-fronted Geese in the next day or two would be appreciated.  (Or, any
GWF Geese spotted in or near Itasca County!)  Thanks!

--
Shawn Conrad
www.itascacnfbirding.com