Al Loken called ~4:30 this afternoon to report at least 8 Greater White-fronted Geese were present at Mud Lake in Duluth, which is a backwater of the St Louis River in the Gary-New Duluth neighborhood. This species is only Casual to Rare-Regular in NE Minn, and this sighting fits in with the unusual numbers in S Minn earlier this week.

Along with them was a lone Snow Goose, and neither species was present when I was there a couple hours earlier. At that time, however, the following species were seen at Mud Lake & or nearby which had not been included on yesterday's Duluth RBA list of new arrivals:

~40 Tundra Swans (among 55 swans present, which included at least 13 Trumpeters)
Gadwall
N Shoveler
N Pintail
Gadwall
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Song Sparrow

Also note that the Harris's Sparrow, which had been seen briefly in my yard on the 1900 block of W Kent Rd on 3 separate February dates, was present this morning in a yard just a few houses away down the block. I would have to assume there are some other feeders on this block I don't know about, and that this mostly undetected individual probably spent the winter in this neighborhood.

Kim Eckert
ecker...@gmail.com
http://www.mbwbirds.com