FYI
The bridge at the west entrance to Agassiz NWR is going to be replaced.
Detour signs on CR 7 are already up, closure signs , equipment, and
materials are already at the site. For anyone who plans a trip soon to
Agassiz and is not familiar with the area, here is the best way to get into
Agassiz from Thief River Falls until this project is completed.

>From Thief River Falls, go east on MN 1 to Pennington CR 20( becomes
Marshall CR 12 in a few miles), take a left on CR 20 and go approx. 8.8
miles to Marshall CR 120, where you take a right. The road is gravel and in
good shape this morning. At the first corner ( where the Long-tailed Jaeger
was found for those of you who saw it), take a left ( N) and follow to the
first opportunity for a choice. That will be the corner before Farmes Pool.
Take a left there and go north to CR 7 coming out within the refuge. At CR 7
you can take a right and proceed as usual to headquarters.

Please note that MN 32 will only get you to the closure, and you will then
have to go south a few miles on CR 12 to CR 120 so that is not recommended.
Also at Farmes Pool, there is no way to get into the refuge proper, so you
will have to return to the last corner to get into Agassiz. I have no idea
when the project will start, but I think soon based on what I observed this
morning. I also have no idea where the detour signs will take you, but think
it may rejoin CR 7 way east of the refuge, or maybe not at all. The detour I
outlined above is not significantly longer from TRF and the road is usually
good.

Conditions inside the refuge this morning: Headquarters Pool completely ice
covered still. Some open water on South Pool where there were geese, Common
Goldeneye, Hooded Mergansers, Mallards,  and a few other duck species. At
Headquarters I found two Fox Sparrows in the woods there. Otherwise, birding
was about what I find in our yard here. Auto tour route is not open yet of
course.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN