hi michelle-thanks for your postings about CA-I haven't been there but intend to go this spring. generally speaking in terms of sightings you've had over the years, are the birds you see there within good distance for photo work or are they quite far off ? I do have a long lens but of course even that doesn't help much if the birds are a city block away ...

jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michelle Hed" <hedquart...@comcast.net>
To: <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2012 11:43 AM
Subject: [mou-net] The Four Unknowns from Carlos Avery

Just in case you were wondering...

I got confirmation that there was a Pied-billed Grebe on pool 6.

A Northern Harrier flew over - before arriving at the pool 6 area.

At pool 10 there was a cluster of black looking birds that would fly up as a group and then land back down - kind of like starlings. I didn't think they were starlings but I did think they were all the same bird. There was apparently several species in the cluster - Grackles, Starlings, Cowbirds and possibly RW Blackbirds or Rusty Blackbirds as well.

And Finally, in the southern wooded area to the west of the Headquarters was a Hermit Thrush.

Thank you Steve for helping with the identifications. Much appreciated.

Michelle Hed
Anoka County