I went birding on Sunday in Dakota County and found 79 species.  New birds
for the year included Bobolink and Grasshopper Sparrow.  We found a pair of
Lesser Scaup west of Randolph and a male Ring-neck Duck at 180th.  We found
shorebirds at the pond east of the 180th Street marsh and just west of
Vermillion, both of which included Dowitchers and both Yellowlegs.  I am
inclined to believe these were Short-billed Dowitchers, given their later
date.  They were silent, which did not help.  Highlights of the day
included a Baltimore Oriole building a nest in Lebanon Hills and nesting
Bank Swallows.  We also had a displaying White-breasted Nuthatch, which I
had never seen before.  But, the best birds of the day were the Gray
Partridges at Randolph industrial park.  We watched as a female cross the
road right in front of the car, which prompted two males to escape in the
other direction a little down the road.

--
Steve Weston
swest...@comcast.net