*Why are Wild Turkey's so Successful in Urban Areas?
*

By Karl Tinsley, University of Minnesota

Join us to hear about Karl’s research on urban Wild Turkeys home ranges and
successful versus unsuccessful nest sites. "I am conducting a telemetry
study examining the behavioral response of wild turkeys (Meleagris
gallopavo) to the urban environment. My research investigates the influence
of available habitat types and landscape features have on home range
characteristics and nesting success. Therefore, I am examining home range
and habitat usage of the birds in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan
area, including both annual and seasonal home range characteristics for
differences between urban individuals and individuals in more rural or
natural settings. I am also examining nest site characteristics of
successful nests, comparing them with unsuccessful nest sites and non-use
areas. It is expected this research will provide a greater understanding of
the response of species to fragmented ecosystems, as well as a basic
understanding of urban wild turkey ecology."
*

When: *Please join us May 24th from *7:00-7:30 pm *to socialize over
cookies. A brief business meeting and the featured speaker begin at *7:30 pm
*. The meeting will conclude before 9:00 pm. Meeting is free and open to
the public.  Seating is limited, first come, first seated.  But, this is
not anticipated to be a problem.
*

Where: *Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center 3815
American Blvd E, Bloomington.

Take Hwy 494 to 34th Ave. Go south to American Blvd; turn left and go 2
blocks. Center will be on your right.
*

Public Transit: *Accessible by Hiawatha Light Rail line, The Visitor Center
is a couple of blocks from the American Blvd. stop.

--
Steve Weston
MRVAC Program Chair